Chautauqua – Cattaraugus Library System
Olean Public Library
James Prendergast Library Association
Co-Central Library Plan, 2017-2021
Central Library Development Aid (CLDA) and Central Book Aid (CBA) are used to supplement member library reference and nonfiction collections, support system-wide databases, and provide reference services and training to member libraries.
- CLDA funds will support training and research assistance to member library staff so that they may better assist patrons
- CBA funds will expand access to nonfiction and reference materials, and eMaterial databases available for member library use
Goal 1—Collection Development and Resource Sharing
Member Libraries will have access to high quality research collections and training at their Co-Central libraries
- CBA funds will be used to fill non-fiction subject area gaps not well covered by other member libraries, keep central reference materials current, and develop foreign language collections to meet community needs.
- CBA funds will be used to support central databases and eMaterials platforms.
- Yearly, shared electronic databases will be evaluated for cost effectiveness and use.
Goal 2—Reference Services
Member Libraries will have access to high quality central reference services
- CLDA funds will be used to provide Member Library staff and patrons with remote reference services through phone and email.
- Co-Centrals will explore options to expand virtual reference services such as chat and text.
Goal 3—Professional Development
Member Libraries will have professional development opportunities to improve reference assistance, readers advisory, and database navigation
- Each Co-Central will use CLDA funds to provide at least four professional development training opportunities to Member Libraries in areas such as reference, readers advisory, circulation, and databases.
- Co-Centrals will support System-led training opportunities by providing space and technical assistance.
- Co-Central staff will regularly share knowledge and expertise through system newsletters, email lists, and other channels.
Approved by the Olean Public Library Board on November 21, 2016,
and the James Prendergast Library Association on November 17, 2016.