The James Prendergast Library is an Association library funded by a mixture of public and private sources.
- Until 2017, the City of Jamestown provided approximately 30% of the library’s budget through tax dollars. In 2017 the City reduced that funding from $350,000 to $100,000 (11%)
- The library has an endowment (investment) fund that has been providing 30-35% of yearly funding
- Grants from local foundations provide 12-15%
- Being the central library of the Chautauqua Cattaraugus Library System, Prendergast receives about 7-8% of the budget from New York State for fulfilling that role
- The Chautauqua Cattaraugus Library System resides in the Prendergast Library building and they reimburse the library for their share in utilities, maintenance, etc., 4%
- Prendergast Library serves as the library for Jamestown Business College which provides funding around 1.7%
- Chautauqua County provides funding for all libraries in the county; for Prendergast it comprises 1.6% of the budget
- All other funds must be raised by gifts, donations, fees and fundraising
The Annual Appeal letter is an easy, but important way to help support the library. If you would like to be included in the list, please contact the library at (716) 484-7135 and we will add your name.
The James Prendergast Library Board of Trustees and staff sincerely appreciate all the support from the community. The library has served this area for 125 years and will continue to work hard to meet community needs. If you are interested in helping the library, please see our “Support” page for more information.