How the Library is Funded
The James Prendergast Library is an Association library funded by a mixture of public and private sources.
- As of 2021, community tax dollars collected by the Jamestown Public School district provide $350,000 in annual funding (30.2% of the budget). Thank you voters for supporting the library!
- The library has an investment fund that in 2023 will provide 33.1% of the library’s budget.
- Grants from local foundations provide 11.4%.
- Being the co-central library of the Chautauqua Cattaraugus Library System, Prendergast receives 9.2% of the budget from New York State for fulfilling that role.
- The Chautauqua Cattaraugus Library System resides in the Prendergast Library building and they reimburse the library for their share in utilities, maintenance, etc., which comprises 5.1% of the budget.
- Chautauqua County provides funding for all libraries in the county; for Prendergast it comprises .9% of the budget
- Prendergast provides library resources to our local business college (.4%)
- All other funds must be raised by gifts, donations, fees and fundraising (9.8%)
The Annual Appeal letter is an easy, but important way to help support the library. If you would like to be included in the list, please contact the library at (716) 484-7135 and we will add your name.
The James Prendergast Library Board of Trustees and staff sincerely appreciate all the support from the community. The library has served this area for 130 years and will continue to work hard to meet community needs. If you are interested in helping the library, please see our “Support” page for more information.