Printer friendly version HERE
Lost and Found Policy
The library is not responsible for the security of personal items brought into any library facility. The library is not responsible for theft or damage to vehicles, bicycles or personal property while on the premises.
Unclaimed items are managed in accordance with the following guidelines:
- If the owner of a lost and found item satisfactorily identifies the lost item, the item will be returned.
- Perishable items such as food, baby bottles, beverage containers and personal care items will be disposed of immediately.
- Lost and Found items will be dated and stored for a period of 31 days. Reasonable attempts will be made to contact the owners (to the extent ownership is known) to reclaim their lost items.
- Items not claimed within 31 days become Library property. Unclaimed items will then become property of the Prendergast Library and may be donated to charity or discarded.
- Certain types of property including unclaimed identification documents, driver’s licenses, credit cards, wallets, laptops and cell phones will be forwarded to the Jamestown Police.
- Flash drives left in the library will be held for 31 days. Due to patron privacy library staff will not access data saved on flash drives to determine ownership. After 31 days, flash drives will be disposed of.
- Documents left in library copy machines and scanners will be kept for 7 days then shredded.
- Non-library items that are dropped off with returned library items are presumed to be donations for the booksale.
- Due to volume of non-library items that are dropped off, staff cannot attempt to determine ownership. Patrons inquiring about mistakenly dropped off items are welcome to check the sale for their items and reclaim them.
Approved by the James Prendergast Library Board of Trustees 2/20/2020