Printer-friendly version HERE
The James Prendergast Library is dedicated to providing creative, life-long learning opportunities to the community we serve. Volunteers are integral to sustaining this creativity and energy. Your support and advocacy help the Library do more for the community. Above all, you help educate your community about the Library so that more people can benefit from our diverse resources and services.
Volunteers help James Prendergast Library expand and enrich its services by assisting with annual fundraising events and outreach opportunities. Volunteers are not used to replace the work done by paid library staff.
Engagement and Outreach:
Assist the Library with the distribution of program and event flyers. Join library staff at outreach events to promote library services and programs.
Assist the Library at annual fundraising events with set-up, ticket sales, refreshments, and clean-up. There may also be opportunities for volunteers to perform at events.
Volunteers help with set-up and clean-up at selected annual library programs. Volunteers will not run or assist in running programs.
Volunteers are recruited without regard to any individual’s age, race, creed, color, national origin, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, physical appearance, socioeconomic level, education level, or any other legally protected characteristic.
Volunteers under the age of 18 must have parental/guardian approval. Volunteers under 14 may only volunteer with a parent or guardian present.
Volunteers may not:
• Perform activities that could reveal confidential patron information
• Use the Integrated Library System (ILS)
To encourage volunteerism and to ensure a positive experience at the Library, the Library will:
• Provide a staff person designated to administer the volunteer program
• Hold bi-yearly volunteer meetings to ensure that all volunteers have the information needed to participate in available opportunities.
• Provide volunteer supervision by following sound supervisory practices and library policies
• Maintain accurate volunteer demographic data, including hours contributed to the Library.
• Recognize volunteers in all marketing and publicity related to volunteer opportunities.
Individuals interested in volunteering at the Library must fill out an application and a waiver form. The Library may not accept every volunteer application.
Approved by the James Prendergast Library Board of Trustees 10/21/2021