Rules of Conduct Policy
Printer-friendly version HERE
Please Enjoy the Library and Respect its Use by Others
The Board of Trustees at the James Prendergast Library has established rules of behavior that customers must adhere to when in a library branch or on library property. These rules serve to: make the library a welcoming and safe place for customers, maintain a safe workplace for staff, preserve and protect the library’s materials, facilities and property. Please help us by adhering to the following:
Rules of Conduct While Using the James Prendergast Library:
- Remain only in areas of the library that are open to serve the public.
- Follow the rules for library computer use as outlined in the Internet Use Agreement.
- Wear shoes and shirts.
- Keep food and beverages in designated areas.
Please do not:
- Use personal electronic equipment, or talk, either on the phone or in person, in a volume that causes a significant disturbance to others.
- Block entrances, exits, aisles or any other space designed for customers to access the library’s collections or services.
- Run, push, jump or climb.
- Loiter or congregate in entrances, walkways, restrooms, or outdoor spaces not intended for public use.
- Use bicycles, skateboards, roller skates, or other sports equipment in the building or on library grounds.
- Bring bicycles and scooters or other similar devices inside the Library building. Skateboards may be carried with you as you use the library.
- Damage library equipment and materials.
- Move library furniture without permission from library staff.
- Leave children under age 8 unattended. The library is not responsible for unattended children. Children under age 8 must be accompanied and directly supervised by an adult, at all times, in all areas of the library and on its grounds.
- Enter or loiter for any period of time near areas designated for children unless accompanied by a child or specifically utilizing children’s materials.
- Bring pets inside the library (with the exception of service animals), except as allowed by library-approved events.
- Smoke or use alcohol on library property. Smoking is defined as: “The combustion of any cigar, cigarette, tobacco or any similar article or any other combustible substance in any manner or in any form or the heating or ignition of an e-cigarette which creates a vapor.”
- Solicit, petition or distribute material inside or outside of the library that has not been approved by the library.
- For the adult computer lab, no more than one person at a computer terminal at a time.
- Sleep in the library or on library property.
- Act in ways that disrespect or threaten other library users or library staff.
- Engage in behaviors that are disruptive to library operations or services.
- Refuse to provide library card or other identification to library staff or security guards when requested.
- Wear ski masks, costume masks, or other items with the effect of obscuring identity while in the library
- Leave valuable or personal belongings unattended.
- Commit or attempt to commit any action that is a violation of federal, state or local laws.
In addition, any activity, substance, or odor posing a health hazard to patrons and employees is prohibited. Any customer who disregards the above-listed prohibited behaviors or engages in any other conduct deemed inappropriate by Library staff may be asked to leave library property and/or may have their library privileges restricted.