|Volunteer Application HERE
|Printer-friendly policy HERE.
Volunteering for James Prendergast Library can be a rewarding and exciting experience; it enhances the Library’s ability to fulfill its mission by providing opportunities for direct public participation in library services. Volunteerism also strengthens and deepens the Library’s relationships throughout the community. Volunteer opportunities offer citizens a way to contribute to the community, fulfill personal goals, achieve a sense of satisfaction and learn more about the Library.
Volunteers help James Prendergast Library expand and enrich its services. Volunteers are not used to replace the work done by paid library staff.
We support the effective utilization of volunteer time and talent as a way to:
- Assist staff, as needed, in critical daily tasks
- Add services of value to new and existing programs
- Promote public awareness of library services
- Increase involvement and support of the Library by the public
- Create the opportunity for volunteers to be involved and learn more about the Library and its functions
Volunteers shall be recruited without regard to any individual’s age, race, creed, color, national origin, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, physical appearance, socioeconomic level, education level or any other legally protected characteristic.
Volunteers under the age of 18 must have parental approval and cannot work more than four (4) hours per day. Youth volunteers may not work without direct supervision by a staff member or an adult volunteer who has successfully completed the volunteer application process, including a background check.
Volunteers may not:
- Perform activities that could reveal confidential patron information
- Use the Integrated Library System (ILS)
Volunteers are expected to conduct themselves as if employed by the Library and must adhere to the policies and practices established regarding work schedule, attendance, conduct, performance, safety procedures, proper attire, etc. Volunteers can be released from volunteer duties at any time at the discretion of the Library. As volunteers may choose to leave, we respectfully request a two week notice.
To encourage volunteerism and to ensure a positive experience at the Library, the Library will:
- Provide a staff person designated to administer the volunteer program
- Provide written position descriptions and procedures for volunteer tasks
- Ensure that volunteers serve in positions that reflect their skills and interests while meeting the needs of the Library
- Provide orientation and training to prepare the volunteers to perform their duties
- Provide volunteer supervision in accordance with sound supervisory practices and library policies
- Maintain accurate volunteer demographic data, including hours worked
Individuals interested in volunteering at the Library must fill out an application and a waiver form. Candidates will be accepted based on the Library’s needs matched with the candidates’ qualifications which will be determined during the selection process. Volunteers will be interviewed by a member of the library management team – the Library may not accept every volunteer application. A background check and reference checking may be required before any candidate can begin an assignment.
Each volunteer will be assigned a supervisor and is required to follow the work procedures established by that staff member. The supervisor is responsible for management and guidance of a volunteer’s work, establishing a work schedule and tracking hours, and is available for guidance and assistance. All volunteers should keep their supervisor informed of their projects and work status, and of any schedule changes.
Approved by the Board of Trustees of the James Prendergast Library, 10/18/2013.